Catching Up With Adam Chanler-Berat
By Jerry Portwood
Although Rent ended its highly successful Broadway run after 12 years, it remains a draw for an entirely new generation of musical theater fans. So original director Michael Grief gave the show a makeover for its next step at New World Stages Off-Broadway. The updated production is younger and fresher and is attracting a whole new crop of fans. We asked out gay actor Adam Chanler-Berat about playing struggling documentarian Mark (although he tells he always thought he'd want to play rock-star Roger). Chanler-Berat was first seen on Broadway in Next to Normal and also starred role in New York Theatre Workshop's Peter and the Starcatcher. He explains how, at 24, he's already made a mark on the theater scene and what he hopes audiences will get out of the current production. Watch our exclusive interview with him below.
Photo by Joan Marcus
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off
- Outgrowing Texas: A Gay Adolescence Under the Lone Star
- The Battle of amfAR: How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS