Catching Up With Adam Chanler-Berat
By Jerry Portwood
Although Rent ended its highly successful Broadway run after 12 years, it remains a draw for an entirely new generation of musical theater fans. So original director Michael Grief gave the show a makeover for its next step at New World Stages Off-Broadway. The updated production is younger and fresher and is attracting a whole new crop of fans. We asked out gay actor Adam Chanler-Berat about playing struggling documentarian Mark (although he tells he always thought he'd want to play rock-star Roger). Chanler-Berat was first seen on Broadway in Next to Normal and also starred role in New York Theatre Workshop's Peter and the Starcatcher. He explains how, at 24, he's already made a mark on the theater scene and what he hopes audiences will get out of the current production. Watch our exclusive interview with him below.
Photo by Joan Marcus
- Decorate Your Christmas Tree With Shirtless Mermen Ornaments
- WATCH: Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream
- India Reinstates Gay Sex Ban
- A Pope is Person of the Year: Edie Windsor is No. 3
- WATCH: Oscar Isaac Performs Folk Version of Katy Perry's 'Roar'
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?