Utah Man Goes On Hunger Strike To Protest Same-Sex Marriage
By Alex Panisch
1. Utah resident Trestin Meacham is protesting Utah’s legalization of same-sex marriage by going on a hunger strike. While anti-gay crackpots are a dime a dozen in the Beehive State—yeah Utah’s the Beehive State, I don’t get it either—what makes this newsworthy is that Meacham claims he’s been at it for 12 days straight. Trestin says he’s been living on only water and vitamins and has lost 25 pounds. While he may be good at losing weight, he’s not so sharp when it comes to law. He wants Utah to nullify the Supreme Court’s overturning of DOMA. Now think back to high school. Remember John C. Calhoun, the Nullification Crisis in the lead up to the Civil War, and the attempts to prevent school integration through nullification. What did we learn? That Nullification does not work, because the Constitution says it doesn’t. Meacham, just pack it in and have a Triscuit.
2. Kim Jong Un, dictator of North Korea, probably didn’t feed is uncle to 120 dogs. NPR, has basically shredded a Hong Kong newspaper’s claim that Jong Un’s uncle, Jang Song Thaek, was eaten alive by dogs. Song Thaek was tried and executed for alleged crimes against the state, but the method of execution was not specified in any reports.
4. Supercar manufacturer Bugatti has collaborated with Swiss luxury company Roland Iten to produce an $84,000 belt buckle and that makes furious. The $84K waste of money is made of two types of gold, titanium, stainless steel, and “smoked sapphire crystals.”
5. Yesterday former NFL punter Chris Kluwe published an article on Deadspin asserting that he was fired from the NFL because of his outspoken support of LGBTQ rights. Though his former coach at the Minnesota Vikings denies it, Brendon Ayanbadejo, another former NFL player and LGBTQ ally, thinks Kluwe is “100% right.” Check out the his thoughts on video here.
6. Music producer SBTRKT debuted a previously unreleased track featuring Jessie Ware. “Runaway,” which only clocks in at a minute and a quarter, capped of SBTRKT’s set at the Young Turks New Year’s Eve party in Tulum, Mexico. Despite it’s brevity, it is a pretty great song. Check it out below:
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris
- WATCH: The Frozen Honest Trailer Starring Adele Dazeem
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula