Jonah Mowry Is The Most Popular Bullied Gay Teen On The Internet
By Out.com Editors
Although his video about bullying was uploaded to YouTube months ago, it wasn’t until this weekend that you couldn’t go online without hearing about bullied teen Jonah Mowry.
In the original video, which has now been seen almost 3 million times, Mowry bravely holds up a series of note cards explaining his dire situation. About the enter the eighth grade, he’s left almost entirely without friends at his school and is bullied—called "gay," "fag," "dick," "douche" and "homo"—constantly. He says into his webcam that he cuts himself. Of returning to school, he writes, “I'm scared to go back.”
The video got tons of attention this weekend, and Mowry got Twitter shouts from celebrities including Ricky Martin, Jane Lynch, Lady Gaga and Amanda Bynes. And more important than star endorsements, another Mowry video surfaced (and then was deleted, but not before others copied it) showing the teen alive and well (and chewing gum in an obnoxious teenage way), joking with a friend and thanking viewers for their support.
Though some are calling the kid out for being a fake, it seems pretty real to us. Haven’t seen the videos? Check ‘em out below.
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'