They Asked Cher To Perform At The Olympics And She Said ‘No’
By Alex Panisch
1. Once again, Cher proves that she has our back. The Advocate reports that Cher was offered a gig to perform at the opening ceremony of the Olympics and said “No,” straight-up, full stop. “I immediately said no,” Cher told Canadian magazineMaclean’s. “I want to know why all of this gay hate just exploded over there.” She stood on principal and, even with a new album coming out, turned down a chance to perform on a world stage. Once again, Cher, we salute you.
2. The Morrissey autobiography was nixed last minute. The NME reports that because of a “content disagreement” between The Smith’s frontman and his publisher, Penguin. Morrissey: Autobiography was supposed to be released on this upcoming Monday, according to a statement on True To You, a Morrissey fan website, the disagreement was irreconcilable that it has “caused the venture to collapse” and “Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.” Morrissey claimed in that the book would be over 600 pages and had wanted it to be published as a Penguin Classic, a franchise reserved for established literary classics like Pride and Prejudice, Heart of Darkness, and The Iliad. No word on if Morrissey’s found a new publisher.
3. The Smoking Gun has collected some of the best complaints to the FCC regarding Miley Cyrus’s, let’s say “misguided,” VMA performance. While many are well founded, the whole thing’s a big bowl o’ crazy. Our favorite: “Miss Milly Cyrus should be fined and jailed.”
4. While Olympic news may be grim, there is some hope out there on the horizon. The USA Today reports that Olympic Wrestling is getting a make over. Not only is the sport back in the games, but some of the athletes may be shirtless! The singlet is being retired and now fight shorts and microfiber tops are being introduced, while those competing in the Greco-Roman event could go bare-chested! Program your Tivos now.
5. Dallas Pride is this weekend and though people say “everything’s bigger in Texas,” but we won’t be able to know for sure. According to Pink News, the local police have issued a preemptive reminder about the city’s public nudity ordinance and it’s rules against “lewd acts.” Let’s see if that one sticks.
6. The first openly gay pro wrestler, Fred Rosser, went on Ellen to discuss his coming out and to introduce the world to his boyfriend. Check out the video below.
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Quote of the Day: Brad Pitt's Musk Smells Better Than Your Cologne
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'