10 Hikes And Sights Outside Las Vegas
By Andrew Belonsky
If you're up for a slightly longer driver, about three-and-a-half hours, head southwest to Joshua Tree National Park.
Named for the type of outstretched yucca tree that grows here and the rest of the Mojave, Joshua tree is more than acres of forest populated by snakes, sheep and jackrabbits, all of which are noteworthy in their own right. It's a cultural mecca, thanks in large part to U2's 1987 album The Joshua Tree.
The tree pictured on that memorable cover has since fallen down, but today, the Joshua Tree Music Festival keeps the park's musical tradition alive for those who want to play in nature without missing the beat.
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Rockin' OUT in L.A.
- 10 Things You Should Know About Cara Delevingne, Michelle Rodriguez's Supermodel Girlfriend