New Orleans Travel Tips From Native Bryan Batt
By Andrew Belonsky
11. The Music: If you absolutely must have a hurricane on Bourbon Street, do it fast, but also be sure to make time to stop by Preservation Hall for classic NOLA jazz, then B-line to Frenchman Street, where the locals go to celebrate the music scene. On any given night at DBA, you'll likely to find any number of New Orleans's many musical legends, such as Trombone Shorty, who has been featured on HBO's Treme. The Snug Harbor Jazz Bistro and bar Mimi's in the Marigny are also red hot!
12. Cemeteries: New Orleans is famous for her cemeteries — or, as fellow native Anne Rice calls them, "Cities of the dead." Although many tourists flock to the St. Louis Cathedral, the most exquisite and unique examples of Victorian and Edwardian monuments and sculpture are found in Metairie Cemetery (pictured above), which includes tombs dating to far before the Civil War. My ancestors rest there, and that’s where I’ll be one day, so tread carefully!
13. The Art Scene: Julia Street and the Warehouse District are home to some of the best art galleries and museums in the Big Easy. Arthur Roger Gallery, Jonathan Ferrara Gallery, the Contemporary Arts Center, The World War II Museum and the Odgen Museum of Southern Art are just a few of my favorites.
14. The Jazz Festival: Party-loving NOLA boasts a multitude of colorful festivals throughout the year, but don’t miss the world famous Jazz and Heritage Festival. which annually presents a cavalcade of musical legends, plus the French Quarter, Tennessee Williams, Satchmo, The Oak Street Po'Boy and Voodoo Festivals are all fantastically unique. Check their websites for dates.
15. The Strolls: An old-fashioned stroll is a great way to start the day, but recommend you make a few stops along the way, like at Cafe du Monde on Jackson Square, where you can munch scrumptious powdered sugar covered Beignets and sip café au lait before moseying over to iconic St. Louis Cathedral and the neighboring The Cabildo and Prespetyre museums.
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- Watch the Latest Trailer for HBO's Adaptation of 'The Normal Heart'
- Tom Ford and Richard Buckley Forever
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki