A Perfect Day: Murray Bartlett’s Sydney
Pictured: Murray Bartlett | Photo by Nino Muñoz
On HBO’s Looking, Murray Bartlett plays Dom, a lothario who’s caught in a midlife growth spurt and finds himself swapping out his Grindr conquests for culinary ambitions — specifically, to open a restaurant and turn his home of San Francisco into a peri peri chicken mecca.
In real life, however, the Aussie actor is partial to grass-fed lamb, organic juices, and the perfect high-energy dance club, all of which can be found in his native Sydney, if you know where to look.
To point us in the right direction, we asked Bartlett to share his favorite haunts when he leaves the City by the Bay and heads back Down Under.
1. The Bondi to Bronte Coastal Walk “This spectacular walk takes you along the limestone cliffs and headlands of some of Sydney’s most beautiful beaches. There are cafes and swimming spots along the way, and it’s breathtaking any time, year-round. If you’re there late October you can catch ‘Sculpture by the Sea,’ an amazing open-air exhibition.”
2. Earth Food Store “When I lived in Sydney I’d get a juice from this place almost daily. Near the beach, it sells top-quality organic produce, juices, and smoothies and has an adjoining natural food bar. It’s been around more than 20 years and has a super-friendly, old-school Bondi vibe.” 81a Gould St.; EarthFoodStore.com.au
3. 10 William Street “Described by one of the owners as a ‘classic ’50s Italian bar with an English post-punk feel to it,’ this place is rowdy and fun and moody, with a stellar take on Italian food and an even better wine list.” 10 William St.; 10WilliamSt.com.au
4. Bronte Ocean Pool “I like to swim here on hot summer nights when there are few (if any) people around. It cuts into the rocks and cliffs at the south end of Bronte Beach. It’s peaceful and romantic and one of my favorite places in the world.”
5. Club Kooky
“If there’s a Club Kooky party happening, get there. Its team of DJs and party people use various venues and attract an eclectic, super-fun, friendly queer crowd. It plays electronic and house music with great beats and vocals that keep you dancing for hours. I’m a huge fan.” Follow on Twitter.
Pic via Twitter
6. Entertainment Quarter Village Markets “A great farmers’ market that happens Wednesdays and Saturdays. It’s a fun place to wander and get produce and prepared foods. The Mirrool Creek lamb vendor has some of the best grass- fed, naturally produced lamb I’ve ever tasted.” EQMoorePark.com.au
To shop this collection and to view more pieces from Hugo Boss Underwear, click here!
Photographer: Alexander Wagner
Groomer: Joanna Pensiger
Groomer’s Assistant: Jenny Hueston
Creative Director: Robert Hebert
7. Alaska Projects “An artist-run initiative that uses the basement of Kings Cross car park as its exhibition space. It’s a cool place to see work from up-and-coming Sydney artists.” 9A Elizabeth Bay Rd.; AlaskaProjects.com