Out in Mexico: Big Night Out Tom’s Leather Bar
By Alex Panisch
The fun part about working for Out is that once in a blue moon, we get to go out to bars and clubs and call it “work.” On Friday night, after we did the rounds on the Calle República de Cuba, we capped off the night at Tom’s Leather Bar, a Mexico City must-see leather bar named for the famous gay erotica illustrator, Tom of Finland.
Though it is billed as a “leather bar,” don’t let that scare you off. The dress code is more of an incentive to wave the cover charge than a requirement (although the "men only" rule is strictly enforced unlike many Stateside leather bars). So if you didn’t pack your harness and chaps—even though you should never leave home without them—you won’t be turned away.
Tom’s attracts a more mature crowd than the bars on the República de Cuba and that’s a huge plus because, with age comes experience. It’s a mix of classic leather dive and kitsch: cold, wet, beers; hardcore gay porn playing on projection screens; a very active and welcoming darkroom; and over the top medieval pointed arches (“ogival” for you art history majors out there) eagle crests have been painted on the walls. The go-go boys strip down to the buff, in case you needed more incentive.
The place is what all bars should be: friendly, fun, and topped with an ample amount of sleaze. It’s a no-fuss good time. And if you don’t stop by on your next trip to Mexico City, you will never forgive yourself.
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Looking GIF-cap: Thank You for Being a Friend
- From Here On Out: The Music Remix
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series