Orlando Cruz Married José Manuel Colón This Weekend
By Out.com Editors
Photo via Facebook
Orlando “El Fenómeno” Cruz married his boyfriend on November 16 in Central Park with New York City Councilmember Melissa Mark-Viverito officiating the ceremony. Pedro Julio Serrano of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and Shirley Casiano were witnesses.
“Giving thanks to my heavenly father for one more day of life and with [my] spouse José Manuel in it,” Cruz wrote in Spanish on his Facebook page on Sunday.
In Oct. 2012, Cruz became the first active professional boxer to come out as gay. As the No. 4-ranked featherweight by the WBO said at the time: "I've been fighting for more than 24 years and as I continue my ascendant career, I want to be true to myself...I want to try to be the best role model I can be for kids who might look into boxing as a sport and a professional career. I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."
He later proposed to his boyfriend in a sweet video shared on Facebook.
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It