Barney Frank and James Ready Wed
By Out.com Editors
Representative Barney Frank married his partner Jim Ready this past Saturday, July 8, in Newton, Mass., in a low-key ceremony on the banks of the Charles River. Massachusetts Governor Deval L. Patrick officiated.
The New York Times published a Vows piece on Sunday about the affair in its A section, rather in the customary Styles section. It was a rather amusing portrait of the couple, who have a 30-year age difference. Frank, 72, made light of the fact that Ready, 42, said he had a "crush" on Frank 20 years ago.
It was also a quick ceremony. According to reports, "Both bridegrooms said they recognized the historical significance of the ceremony, which lasted less than five minutes.
The wedding bands are also unusual: black diamonds set in tungsten. Ready is a carpenter and a welder and tungsten is a metal used in welding. He said he picked the material because “it helps keep me grounded, after going to lunch with the president."
The guests included Representative Nancy Pelosi, the House minority leader, as well as Senator John Kerry and Representatives Dennis J. Kucinich and Steny H. Hoyer.
See more images from the wedding here. Watch MSNBC's coverage of the wedding nuptials below.
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- Lady Gaga Flashes Her Privates on the Cover of Candy Magazine (NSFW)
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad
- Good Morning, Juan Betancourt!
- Tumblr's Top LGBTQ Posts of the Year Include Lots of GIFs, NPH