Hot List: Nir Hod
By Aaron Hicklin
And despite appearances, there's something sad and even romantic about his baby geniuses, no matter how entitled they appear. Beyond the kitsch veneer, Hod has genuine affection for them, without which the paintings would just be cynical parodies. There's a sympathy at work that makes them more interesting, something in their defiance that makes them paradoxically fragile. Or, as Hod, puts it, 'All of them in some way want the love of their mother.'
Nir's Hot List
1. 'I'm planning to go to some far romantic place, calm and warm, a place that will fill my mind, my heart, and my soul with magic.'
2. 'Finally I found one of my favorite movies, Bitter Moon by Roman Polanski. I haven't watched it for nine years and can't wait to reacquaint myself with it.'
3. 'To eat, I like to go to Tatiana in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. It's ridiculous in such a good way. It's like traveling behind the mirror. '
4. 'I'm reading Richard Branson's Losing My Virginity. The guy is a genius.'
To see the full 2011 Hot List, click here.
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- 140 Years of Denim
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off