Hot List: Nir Hod
By Aaron Hicklin
And despite appearances, there's something sad and even romantic about his baby geniuses, no matter how entitled they appear. Beyond the kitsch veneer, Hod has genuine affection for them, without which the paintings would just be cynical parodies. There's a sympathy at work that makes them more interesting, something in their defiance that makes them paradoxically fragile. Or, as Hod, puts it, 'All of them in some way want the love of their mother.'
Nir's Hot List
1. 'I'm planning to go to some far romantic place, calm and warm, a place that will fill my mind, my heart, and my soul with magic.'
2. 'Finally I found one of my favorite movies, Bitter Moon by Roman Polanski. I haven't watched it for nine years and can't wait to reacquaint myself with it.'
3. 'To eat, I like to go to Tatiana in Brighton Beach, Brooklyn. It's ridiculous in such a good way. It's like traveling behind the mirror. '
4. 'I'm reading Richard Branson's Losing My Virginity. The guy is a genius.'
To see the full 2011 Hot List, click here.
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- WATCH: The Frozen Honest Trailer Starring Adele Dazeem
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series