Hot List 2011: Rory O'Malley
By Bill Keith
For many who didn't catch Rory O'Malley's 2006 Broadway debut in The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, the actor's path as an activist caught their attention first. In 2008, O'Malley co-founded Broadway Impact, a coalition of theater professionals committed to raising funds and awareness in supporting marriage equality. But it's his role starring role in South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone's The Book of Mormon that has truly thrust the Cleveland native into the spotlight. Catching O'Malley playing closeted missionary Elder McKinley in the musical means you've secured a seat to this summer's hottest Broadway ticket. And his anthem to gay self-loathing, 'Turn It Off,' is a standout number in a musical packed with showstoppers.
The Book of Mormon is currently playing at the Eugene O'neill Theater in New York City.
Rory's Hot List
1. "The Pride Run in Central Park."
2. "Broadway Softball League."
3. "Midsummer Night Swing at Lincoln Center."
4. "'The World's Largest Dinosaurs' at the Museum of Natural History."
5. "Hopefully a marriage equality bill passed in New York State!!"
To see the full 2011 Hot List, click here.