Live The Life: Johnny Cash
By Out.com Editors
The gravel-voiced Johnny Cash iconically synthesized country and rock, a dichotomy present in almost all aspects of his life: He was a Biblical scholar who referred to himself as “the biggest sinner of them all”; his onstage persona possessed a bad boy brio, yet maintained a somber undertone; and his canon was both brooding and silly. Cash’s appearance, though, had a reliable consistency. While he adhered to a priestly, dark uniform, which garnered him the sobriquet "The Man in Black," hints of outlaw braggadocio—a roughed-up leather jacket, a bolo tie, the rockabilly pompadour -- implied his rebellious nature was never too far off.
Photography by Devon Jarvis
1. Black fur felt western hat by Stetson, $339.99
2. Western shirt with red leather trim by Ralph Lauren, $395
3. Aztec-style belt with green riveting by Diesel, $140
4. Black lacquer and gold-finish lighter by Cartier, $700
5. Bubble toe boot by Billy Reid, $450
- Lady Gaga Flashes Her Privates on the Cover of Candy Magazine (NSFW)
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad
- Open Letter: Greg Louganis Congratulates Tom Daley For Coming Out
- Good Morning, Juan Betancourt!
- A Shirtless Michael J. Willett Performs Stripped Down Cover of Natasha Bedingfield