Oh! You Pretty Things: Mod
By Julien Sauvalle
Photography by Joshua Scott
Alain Pinon, co-owner of Salon AKS (SalonAKS.com) in Manhattan, is no stranger to David Bowie’s transformations: He’s been the singer’s hairstylist for more than 20 years. “Bowie is someone who has done so much with such passion,” Pinon says. “He’s not afraid of change.” Here, he gives us a few tips on how to achieve Bowie’s most famous looks.
“In the ’60s, the haircut made the look. The Mods left their hair long on top, so it would collapse and simply sit there. With this style, the line is clean, more rigid, and has a lot of volume. You don’t need to give a lot of texture to your hair; one product is enough. After styling it lightly with a brush, use a lifting gel with a strong hold, such as PHYTO Strong Sculpting Gel ($24, 5 oz.; PHYTO.com). Break it up with your fingers to soften the hair and bring out the finishes.”
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- From Here On Out: The Music Remix
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'