Today in Gay History: Tom Cruise's 'Business'
By Andrew Belonsky
The release 30-years ago today of Risky Business isn't inherently gay, but think about it: the movie, directed by Paul Brickman and starring Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay as a teenage boy and his favorite prostitute, turned Cruise into an international sensation, and that sensation would become a walking gay rumor. He could have a million failed marriages — so far he has three — but Cruise will never be able to dodge questions about his true sexuality.
Even if he is a big straight, though, there's no denying the fact that it wasn't just girls and women playing this scene in slow motion. Risky Business launched not only Tom Cruise's career, but countless gay fantasies. The question is: does this much-lampooned scene stand the test of time? Watch and decide for yourself.
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Teen Wolf to Get Gayer With a New Out Athlete
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- James Franco's Hardcore Interior. Leather Bar Hits Cinemas