Is Wall Street Still A Homophobic, Sexist Boy's Club?
By Alex Panisch
Photo by Benoît Prieur (Aga), Wikimedia Commons, Cc-by-sa-3.0
1. Kevin Roose, a journalist for New York magazine, infiltrated the party for Kappa Beta Phi: Wall Street’s secret fraternity. Roose, who’s book Young Money comes out today, discovered that all of those Wolf of Wall Street stereotypes about high finance—the homophobia, the sexism, the general dickishness—were embodied at the annual Kappa Beta Phi dinner. While this may not be representative of finance as a whole—there are clearly some bankers out there who are decent people—clearly Wall Street is still very much a frat.
2. We are sad to report that Bob Casale, the guitarist for Devo, has died. Mr. Casale, a founding member of the group, died suddenly on February 17 of heart failure. He was 61.
3. Dan Savage went on the sensationally funny podcast Risk! to talk about that time he hooked up with an 18-year-old who was in drag. It’ll have you in stitches.
4. Bret Easton Ellis thinks that millenials are crybabies, is working on a TV series about the Manson murders, and is collaborating with Kanye on a film project. If you want to know more about what Twitter’s most prolific shit-stirrer is up to, read his interview with Vice.
5. The International Olympic Committee has sided with the Russian authorities who detained Vladimir Luxuria, a former member of the Italian parliament and transwoman. Luxuria was taken to jail for holding a “Gay is OK” sign outside the Sochi Olympic village on Sunday. IOC spokesman Mark Adams told the Associated Press, "We would ask anyone to make their case somewhere else."
6. Behind on your Oscar nominated movies and need the Cliff’s Notes? Check out the honest trailer for Gravity. Spoilers below:
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- Gay Fashion Blog - What Truman Says Goes
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Panti Bliss: The Drag Queen Who Rocked Ireland Soaks In the Aftermath