Margaret Cho Joins Cast Of Tina Fey Comedy
1. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Margaret Cho is joining the cast of Tina Fey’s upcoming comedy, for now titled Cabot College. The show will take place at a women’s college that has just gone co-ed and Cho is slated to play Laura Thibault, the college’s president. Production begins in March.
2.During an interview with the BBC, the mayor of Sochi, Russia—the host city of the upcoming Winter Olympics—said that there are no gay people in Sochi. The Advocate reports that Mayor Anatoly Pakhomov told the BBC that there were no gays in Sochi, despite the fact that many news outlets have gone to gay clubs in the city. Pakhomov said that gays are welcome if they don’t “impose their habits and their will on others.”
3. Azealia Banks went to twitter and begged to be dropped by her label. The rapper, who has yet to release a single LP, is currently signed to Universal and seems to be unhappy about that. She tweeted yesterday, “I REALLY should have signed with Sony” and “Can someone at Sony buy me off of Universal please?? i'm really in hell here." Banks’ much delayed album “Broke With Expensive Taste” is slated to drop in March.
4. The Winklevoss twins (aka the only people in The Social Network who make Mark Zuckerburg look not totally terrible) are again the subject of Silicon Valley scrutiny. The CEO of Bitinstant, a Bitcoin startup the twins invested in, has been arrested for money laundering. Another successful business venture from the Winklevii, break out the campaign and privilege.
5. CHVRCHES covered Bauhaus’ “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” and it’s epic. Sure it’s for the Vampire Academy—I’ve never heard of it either—soundtrack, but whatever. According to Flavorwire, the soundtrack has music from Sky Ferreira, Au Revoir Simone, Goldfrapp and M.I.A., so that’s good. CHVRCHES has been on a roll with covers lately; their covers of Whitney Houston’s “It’s Not Right, But It’s Okay” and Janelle Monae’s “Tightrope” have been stellar.
6. Olya Povlatsky, SNL’s resident Russian peasant went off on the Sochi Olympics on Saturday’s episode and it was good.