Evander Holyfield's Son: My Dad Doesn’t Hate Gays
By Alex Panisch
1. Ewin Holyfield, son of former pro boxer Evander Holyfield, has come to his father’s defense. The elder Holyfield landed in hot water yesterday after a clip of him comparing homosexuality to a birth defect went viral. Holyfield the younger went to TMZ to tell the world that his dad’s not a bad guy. “My dad is the most loving and caring person you will ever meet,” says Ewin. “He treats everyone like a human being ... even if they are homosexual." Ewin says that Evander has a gay brother-in-law and that they get on fine. He concluded his statement to TMZ with "My dad feels that being gay is a choice ... and naturally that's how things work. You cannot procreate and make a baby with two women, or two men. But at the same time, my dad is not going to judge someone for their sexual orientation." So it’s a combo of “he has a gay friend/relative,” “being gay is a choice,” and the old “biology says it’s unnatural” arguments. Ewin, would you like a shovel so you and your father can dig yourselves in deeper?
2. Sasheer Zamata is Saturday Night Live’s newest cast member. The seasoned comedienne has made videos with the Upright Citizen’s Brigade—a group that spawned SNL alums Amy Poehler and Horatio Sanz—and appeared on Inside Amy Schumer. Looking over her past work, it seems that Zamata will be a welcomed addition to the cast.
3. The critically acclaimed television program “EastSiders” will be broadcast as a feature film on LOGOTV tonight. The first season of “EastSiders: The Series” will be reformatted as a film and will be broadcast tonight at 11:30 PM EST. The show, which started out as a web series, centers on Cal and Thom, a Silver Lake couple working through the fallout of infidelity.
4. Queer activists in Greek port city of Piraeus protested one of the country’s most virulently anti-gay bishops by staging a kiss in yesterday. During celebrations for the holiday of Theophany, demonstrators kissed en masse and handed out “love is not a sin” leaflets to protest the town’s virulently anti-gay bishop, Seraphim. Last year Seraphim threatened to excommunicate MPs who voted in favor of same-sex partnerships.
5. Madonna has confirmed that Katy Perry will be the first guest curator of Art for Freedom. ICYMI, Art for Freedom is Madge’s “online Global initiative to further freedom of expression.” The pair will be collaborating for the month of January and will choose submissions to be showcased. In an interview this past October with Billboard, Katy Perry said that she loves “Madonna to death,” but “she's never going to give me that damn baton.” I’m not saying this is going to turn into an AHS style battle for who will be the next Supreme, but I’m not not saying that’s gonna happen.
6. Dennis Rodman went off at Chris Cuomo because he suggested that Rodman shouldn’t have traveled to the Hermit Kingdom so he could see his bff, Kim Jon Un. You know, because of the human rights abuses. The video’s below:
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Looking Sneak Peek: The Finale
- Model Watch: 10 Things You Should Know About Marlon Teixeira