1. Not quite sure what to do with your weekend but positive that you don’t want to have sex. Well then, might I direct you to the trailer for Lars von Trier’s latest boner-killer, Nymphomaniac? The film, whose world premier is next month, will be cut into two feature films and distributed globally. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film is ineligible to compete at next year’s Cannes Film Festival, but the festival may screen von Trier’s original director’s cut, which clocks in at 5 ½ hours. This’ll put you off doing the nasty faster than walking in on your grandparents doing it.
2. As states begin to ban so called “ex-gay” therapy because it’s a crock of shit peddled by bigoted quacks and only serves to harm its patients, it is still surprising to see how pervasive the practice is. This week we learned that Mike Rosebush, a “gay conversion therapy” advocate, was overseeing the cadet counseling program at the US Air Force Academy. Last night on her MSNBC program, Rachel Maddow interviewed Scott Hines, a gay graduate of the Academy who secretly underwent “ex-gay” therapy during his time at the Academy. Hines says the “therapy” was nothing but detrimental.
3. In order to prevent same-sex couples from getting spousal benefits from the National Guard, Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallon has ordered state owned National Guard facilities to stop processing all military spousal benefits. Stephen Colbert, of course, finds the silver lining.
4. Will Ferrell has been on his Anchorman 2 media blitz and the resaults have been nothing but magical. Case in point, Will Ferrell, as ace reporter Ron Burgundy, went on Conan last night and sang Toronto Mayor Rob Ford's reelection song, Loverboy's "Working For The Weekend."
5. Kiwi “Royals” singer Lorde teamed up with West Coast sister songstresses HAIM to cover Sheryl Crow’s “Strong Enough” on VH1 It’s as epic as it sounds. Check out the video below and watch SNL this weekend to see HAIM perform as the musical guest.