1. The government shutdown has caused over 800,000 “non-esential” government workers to be put on furlough, shut down many essential government programs, and caused the stock market to take a tumble. The upside, there now is whole mess of people who have nothing better to do all day than get it on. Both The Washington Post and Jezebel have reported thanout of worker public employees have been putting Craigslist ads for casual encounters. So grab some lube and some rubbers and yourself some hot “Government Slutdown Sex.”
2. Queerty reports that a whopping 60 people turned out for the First Annual “Ex-Gay” Awareness Dinner and Reception in Washington, D.C. That’s 4 times more people than their sad, little rally in July. While the dinner was held in an undisclosed location, I’m sure the venue had plenty of closets to accommodate everyone who attended.
3. You ever ask a straight friend for something totally platonic and they give you the whole “I’m flattered, but I’m straight” speech. Yeah nothing feels more like a kick to the nads like being rejected by somebody you weren’t even hitting on, while at the same time he’s implying you’re a clueless sex maniac. Brandon Ambrosino wrote an open letter to straight men on the subject in McSweeney’s.
4. Russia has stopped adoptions to Sweden because the country allows for same-sex marriage. The Local reports that because Russia has now banned adoptions to countries which recognize same-sex marriage many Russian orphans are left in limbo.
5. Deadline Hollywood reports Fox has renewed The Simpsons for its 26 season. Does the show still have any laughs left or should they let it die with a quantum of dignity? Discuss.
6. GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network, released a video today of interviews with its student ambassadors. Make no mistake, despite all the progress we’ve made, it’s still hard to be queer in high school. Check out the video below: