WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris & Chorus Boys at Emmys
By Jerry Portwood
Although Tina Fey and Amy Poehler worked well as audience plants, taunting Neil Patrick Harris to twerk, it seems NPH (who also invited other previous hosts to mock him, including Jane Lynch, Jimmys Kimmel & Fallon, and Conan O'Brien) decided he'd stick to his beloved song and games. After the ho-hum opening bits, the tireless host finally gave the kids what they wanted halfway through last night's Emmys: a big singing, dancing spectacle called “The Number in the Middle of the Show,” featuring Nathan Fillion, Sarah Silverman, and a chorus of Broadway babes. At one point, a rather smitten NPH requests "more of the guy who held me up before" — and gets it!
Hey, it doesn't top his 2013 Tonys opening number, but what could? Our biggest concern, however, is whether NPH is transforming into his generation's Billy Cristal (who was an awards show host fave forever), or will he transcend his genius song-and-dance openers? We'll have to wait until we catch him in the role of a lifetime as Hedwig on Broadway in 2014.
Watch the Emmys clip below:
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- The Battle of amfAR: How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?