Moscow Mayoral Candidate Wants To Bar Gay And Bisexual Men From Giving Blood
By Alex Panisch
1. Mikhail Degtyaryov, a candidate for mayor of Moscow, has called for a ban on gay and bisexual men from donating blood. According to The Moscow Times, Degtyaryov said that the measure was precautionary, as—according to Degtyaryov—65 percent of HIV-infected individuals are men. Degtyaryov did not say where he got these statistics. Degtyaryov has also said that the Russian government is working on a plan to offer gay and bisexual men voluntary and confidential conversion therapy. This is just the latest in a long line of regressive and boneheaded legislation from Degtyaryov, who once proposed giving women paid leave from work when they are menstruating.
2. They gave Vin Diesel a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame; we’re not joking. Yeah, that Vin Diesel, The Fast and the Furious guy. No, for real.
3. For today’s installment of “People Who Should Learn To Keep Their Mouths Shut,” we present to you figure skater, Jeremy Abbott. Speaking to The Denver Post, Abbott displayed a level of stupidity so staggeringly high that I am at a loss for how to quantify it. Abbot said, "Russia is hosting us. I'm not going to go into somebody's house and be like, 'Um, the way you decorate is hideous, and you need to completely redo this or I'm never coming back.' It's a little rude, so I don't want to say bad things about a country that's hosting the world, essentially. Maybe I don't agree with their policies, and maybe I don't agree with some things, but that's for them to sort out. My speaking out just makes me look like an ass."
No Jeremy, simply speaking makes you look like an ass.
4. Charlotte, NC held its first gay pride parade in almost twenty years. Though a ban on same-sex marriage was signed into law last year, hopefully this march is a sign of more progressive change to come.
5. In case you didn't get a good look at Lady Gaga's derrière last night at the VMAs, TMZ has a video for your viewing pleasure. She was speaking to Joseph Gordon-Levitt. You should keep an eye on that Gordon-Levitt kid, he's going places...
6. General rule of thumb for public speaking: don’t go off-book, because when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. Case in point, A$AP Rocky’s introduction of Macklemore & Ryan Louis in which he said of Macklemore, “he stand up for everything he believe in as far as everybody being equal, color… homosexuality.” A$AP, who shared the stage with Jason Collins, pointed to the out basketball player when he said “homosexuality.” It’s so cringe, check it out below.
Photo by Bluesnap