Androgyny Is The New Black And 5 Other Things We Learned Today
By Out.com Editors
1. Androgyny is the new black. Diesel is the company to position androgynous and plus size models front and center of its ad campaign. The company even turned to Tumblr to find a new crop of models to represent the clothing brand. “I wanted to find people who reflected the diversity of the creative community today and not just the typical model," Nicola Formichetti told WWD. "I wanted the campaign to showcase a variety of characters, people who are beautiful in their own unique way."
2. Billboard is publicly chiding Lady Gaga for her attempts to increase streams and make her way to number 1 on the charts. According to Editorial Director Bill Werde, the singer is "playlisting" her new video in order to increase streams. Plainly put: If fans watch her new video on repeat for nine hours, the streams will increase her chart position.
3. Blake Skjellerup and Matthew Mitcham joined The Project Australia to advocate for LGBTQ athletes. The two Olympic athletes recently discussed the Sochi Games, where Skjellerup is planning to compete despite Russia's anti-gay laws.
4. It's that time again: David Beckham released a new ad campaign featuring his famous bum. "It was great to shoot them in an old-fashioned East End changing room," Beckham said in a press release. "It was like I had gone right back to my roots." Too bad we weren't invited back to the steam room.
5. Nine films are battling it out for the seventh Queer Lion Award at the Venice Film Festival. The Hollywood Reporter highlights the films that "accurately portrays lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender characters."
6. American Idol finalist, Todrick Hall, created a Cinderella musical set to Beyonce music. If there's one way to modernize a princess, it's letting her shake her booty to "Single Ladies."