Dustin Lance Black To Hollywood: School Russia
By Out.com Editors
1. Oscar-winning writer Dustin Lance Black, fresh off his "misguided" criticism of the gay Ender's Game boycott, is throwing his weight behind a less controversial boycott: one on anti-gay Russia. Writing for The Hollywood Reporter, Black insists the movie industry must take it upon itself to speak out against homophobia under Vladimir Putin's regime. "The truth is, there is virtually no other industry that can make a greater impact than ours," he says. "Our business matters to Russia, our voices are heard in Russia, and the combination of these avenues of influence can absolutely help end these dark days there."
2. Meanwhile, openly gay actor Stephen Fry compared Putin to Hitler. From his open letter to British PM David Cameron and the International Olympic Committee: "He is making scapegoats of gay people, just as Hitler did Jews. He cannot be allowed to get away with it."
3. And the Olympic Committee does not seem inclined to get involved. "Before the law was passed, the I.O.C. could have pressured Russian officials, saying it would not support the Sochi Games under such conditions. Instead, the Olympic Committee acquiesced," Jere Longman wrote at the New York Times. "As Olympic officials are consumed with internal politics, Olympic athletes are left with the possibility of being fined, detained and deported for violating Russia’s new law of intolerance."
4. Rod Snyder, the outgoing president of the Young Democrats of America, came out as gay and Christian, among other things. "I am a Christian, an American, a West Virginian, a Young Democrat, a rural advocate, a singer-songwriter, a brother, a son, a grandson, a nephew, an uncle, and a gay man," he wrote at The Huffington Post.
5. Same-sex couples have started tying the knot in Uruguay, Time reports.
6. Here's the first trailer for Spike Jonze's new movie, Her.
- Go Behind The Scenes Of Neil Patrick Harris's Glitter-Filled Photo Shoot
- Anne Rice Brings Back Lestat For New Novel
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- Casting Net: Teen Wolf Adds Gay Lacrosse Player To Show's Locker Room
- First Look At Neflix's Orange Is The New Black Season 2
- 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris