Long Live The '#Instastuds'
By Andrew Belonsky
Many, many, many thanks to Out contributor Mike Albo for sharing his New York Magazine slideshow, "Meet the #Instastuds: Hot Gay Men on Perma-Display." This is what my Monday needed, and I guarantee it will perk yours right up, too.
Oh, and Albo wrote some smart stuff, too, so you can actually say you clicked through for the article. Here's a sample from his meaty essay:
"The #Instastuds are different than your average hot selfie-taking guy or women on Instagram — the ones who will occasionally post a photo of a sunset, their cat, or a casual lingerie shot in their apartment. These men are more relentless and artful: They pose gorgeously in photo after photo, channeling their inner Steven Meisel, their images as well-selected, aspirational, and powerfully seductive as an underwear or fragrance ad campaign.
"Flaunting themselves on Instagram, they are also all proudly and openly gay ... But at the same time, they all look fairly heteronormative: hunky, sporty, the kind of guy who would call himself “masc & musc” in a hook-up app and would never take a photo of himself at Drag Brunch. And all are careful to avoid appearing like they are doing this just to get laid. By showing that, they would be revealing that they are vulnerable and have needs, and an #Instastud can never look unsatisfied with his life."
The one up above is my favorite, I think. I'll have to give it another leer. (But don't overlook Dan Savage's husband, Terry Miller, who we also spotted looking sexy on Instagram a while back.)
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Outgrowing Texas: A Gay Adolescence Under the Lone Star
- The Battle of amfAR: How Liz Taylor Tricked Reagan Into Talking About AIDS