'Magic Mike:' The Broadway Musical
1. Nikki Finke reports that Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey are writing the music for a forthcoming Broadway musical version of the stripper movie Magic Mike.
2. More than 1,000 anti-gay activists protested today in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Many of the participants, whether they were Christian or Muslim, cited religion as their reason for hating LGBT people. The protest comes just days after Haitian gay rights groups condemned homophobic violence across the Caribbean.
3. Harrison Ford weighed in on the gay Ender's Game boycott, telling the AP, "I don't think that issue rears its head in the work. No part of the story concerns Mr. Card's theories about society in terms of gay issues or homosexual issues… So I hold it completely separate." Meanwhile, the topic came up during the movie's Comic-Con panel, where producer Roberto Orci said they want to use the controversy to reiterate the production team's pro-equality politics.
4. The rural Mexican township of Fresnillo elected openly gay Benjamin Medrano to be their mayor.
6. President Obama surprised the White House Press Corp and American public today with a monumental speech about Trayvon Martin and the pains of everyday racism, especially the pain felt by black men. "There are very few African-American men in this country who haven’t had the experience of being followed when they are shopping at a department store. And that includes me.” Here's video of Obama's complete address. You need to watch it.