Aussie DJ Who Asked PM About 'Gay' BF Fired
By Andrew Belonsky
Australian radio host Howard Sattler may have thought himself pretty clever when he asked Prime Minister Julia Gillard whether her hairdresser partner Tim Mathieson is gay during a live interview this week. Well, he was clearly mistaken, and his stunt backfired spectacularly first when Gillard offered a concise, classy takedown of his stereotype-laced logic, and now comes word that radio corporation Fairfax Radio has sacked 67 year-old Sattler, who was originally just suspended.
"In the wake of yesterday’s interview, Radio 6PR suspended Mr Sattler from broadcasting pending a review of the matter today. The station has now decided to terminate Mr Sattler’s engagement effective immediately," said Martin Boylen, the manager of Sattler's former show, 6PR Drive.
As friends and enemies rallied behind Gillard -- former PM Kevin Rudd describes Sattler's comments as "appalling" -- Sattler's defenders are wondering if his bizarre line of questioning has something to do with declining ratings and recent health complications. Either way, Sattler's out of a job.
In case you missed it, here's footage of Gillard replying to Sattler's suggestion that boyfriend Mathieson is secretly gay:
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Quote of the Day: Brad Pitt's Musk Smells Better Than Your Cologne
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula