'Texts from Hillz' Makes A Brief Return
By Andrew Belonsky
Texts from Hillary, a Tumblr send-up of Hillary Clinton's fierceness and sometimes called "Texts from Hillz," was a brief but beloved meme that began last April and wrapped in only a week after then-Secretary of State Clinton submitted her own photo.
"As far as memes go – it has gone as far as it can go. Is it really possible to top a submission from the Secretary herself? No. But then when you get to text with her in real life – it’s just over. At least for us. But we have no doubt it will live on with all of you on the Internet," creators Adam Smith and Stacy Lambe, an Out contributor, wrote at the time.
Indeed Texts from Hillz goes on: the group Freedom to Work, a non-profit dedicated to ending workplace discrimination against LGBT people, revived the joke to address the Obama administration's very serious delay on signing an executive order banning anti-LGBT discrimination among federal contractors. It was for that very issue that GetEQUAL activist Ellen Sturtz was arguing when she heckled, and was then confronted by, First Lady Michelle Obama.
Freedom to Work insists this isn't an endorsement, but notes on Facebook, "We think President Hillary Clinton would sign it!" Hopefully it won't take another president to get this done.
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- Go Behind The Scenes Of Neil Patrick Harris's Glitter-Filled Photo Shoot