Delaware Passes Gay Marriage And 5 Other Things We Learned Today
By Out.com Editors
1. Fantastic marriage news out of Delaware: with a 12-9 vote the State Senate gave the green light to a bill legalizing marriage equality. The House had passed that bill and Gov. Jack Markell signed it almost immediately, as seen above in Doug Denison's photo from the moment the state became the 11th in the nation to allow same-sex equality. And as an added piece of good news, Democratic State Sen. Karen Peterson came out during the debate.
2. Amini Fonua, a Tongan Olympic swimmer and student at Texas A&M University, has also come out. “An Aggie does not lie, cheat or steal. And if you’re living in the closet, you’re living a lie," he said, referring to himself by the school's chosen nickname.
3. Chris Ware, the artist behind the New Yorker's two mommies Mothers' Day cover, explained himself: "…We humans are incessant editors, never happy with the first draft of anything…. Few people today don’t know—or have in their families—at least one loving couple who are raising children, same-sex or not. And it’s really just the loving part that matters. That same-sex marriage could go from its preliminary draft of 'diagnosable' to the final edit of “so what?” must indicate some positive evolution on the part of the larger human consciousness."
4. The Interactive ABBA Museum opened its doors in Stockholm today.
5. U.S. Sen. Patrick Leahy introduced an immigration reform amendment that will protect binational couples. "For immigration reform to be truly comprehensive, it must include protections for all families," said Leahy, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. "We must end the discrimination that gay and lesbian families face in our immigration law."
6. Finally, does this trailer for Ender's Game make you want to overlook author Orson Scott Card's anti-gay politics and see the sci-fi movie anyway?
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- 50 Essential Gay Films
- Josh Hutcherson says: best thing for his 'Hunger Games' character might be a threesome