Nathan Lane to Host 'Symphonic Sondheim'
By Out.com Editors
Nathan Lane makes his New York Phil debut when he hosts Symphonic Sondheim, the performance of symphonic suites by the master composer. Paul Gemignani will conduct the Orchestra in a program that includes a newly commissioned arrangement from Sunday in the Park with George and orchestral selections from The Enclave, Pacific Overtures, Stavisky, Into the Woods, and Sweeney Todd.
Turns out the New York Philharmonic has presented Stephen Sondheim’s works 68 times, including the critically acclaimed, semi-staged production of Company in April 2011 conducted by Gemignani and featuring Stephen Colbert, Neil Patrick Harris, Christina Hendricks, and Patti LuPone.
As you might recall, Nathan Lane starred in Mr. Sondheim’s musical The Frogs at Lincoln Center in 2004, and he also appeared in the workshop of Sondheim’s Wise Guys (later re-titled Road Show) and starred in the film The Birdcage, which features a number of Sondheim’s works, including an original song written for the film.
The not-to-be-missed event takes place January 29, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. Get those tickets now!
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- The 10 Most Influential Gay Fashion Bloggers
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- Next Year in Kampala? America’s LGBT rights industry goes global