WATCH: The Jenifer Lewis & Shangela Webseries
By Jerry Portwood
They had us with the opening ditty, which includes Jennifer Lewis singing: "I gotta drag queen livin' in my basement! And he's my baby boy!" So how can you go wrong?
In the four-part scripted webseries sassy Jenifer Lewis mentors sassy Shangela, from RuPaul's Drag Race fame (or infamy, according to who you ask). According to the show's opening credits, Shangela stalked Lewis backstage after a performance of Mother Courage and Her Children in Central Park with Meryl Streep (I saw it too!). Somehow, the two queens became roomies, and the rest is herstory.
Watch as Lewis — best known for roles in Jackie's Back!, What's Love Got to Do With It, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air — helps Shangela (AKA DJ Pierce when he's in boy drag) prepare for a Law & Order: PTSD episode.
And here's a sorta teaser trailer that was meant to go "viral" and is whacked out in its own fine, fine way. Watch below:
- Beyoncé Liberated
- Tom Ford and Richard Buckley Forever
- EXCLUSIVE: Beyoncé Debuts Free Remixes of 'Blow' & 'XO'
- Quote of the Day: Josh Hutcherson Describes His Sexuality
- Must See: Mala Mala: A Puerto Rican Trans Documentary
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet