‘Bring It On’ Is Coming to Broadway This Summer
By Jerry Portwood
After the premature departure of Lysistrata Jones, is Broadway ready for another cheerleader musical? Seems that we'll find out soon enough. According to ArtsBeat, Bring It On: The Musical will start previews July 12 after it's already played in Los Angeles, Houston, Chicago, and Toronto. As Patrick Healy notes, "Broadway producers rarely open new shows in summertime, when tourist-dominated audiences in New York are biggest for long-running hits..." but this seems to be a major exception.
Luckily, the creative team behind Bring It On is pretty damn stellar (although there have been some bumps along the way). The music is by Tom Kitt (Next to Normal) and Lin-Manuel Miranda (In the Heights), with lyrics by Miranda and Amanda Green and a book by Out100 honoree Jeff Whitty (Avenue Q, Tales of the City). Andy Blankenbuehler, who won a Tony for choreography for “In the Heights,” is the director and choreographer.
As we told you last September, we love that transgender cheerleader La Cienega (played by male actor Gregory Haney and pictured above second from left) was embodying the "be yourself" mantra. Most audience members might not realize that La Cienaga is played as transgender, but we hope when the play arrives in New York City none of that has changed.
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- Listen to 'The Sound Of Music Live' Soundtrack
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off
- Outgrowing Texas: A Gay Adolescence Under the Lone Star