WATCH: Audra McDonald Hails Obama's Marriage Support
By Jerry Portwood
Four-time Tony Award-winning singer and actress Audra McDonald is receiving a lot of well-deserved love and attention these days. She recently received her seventh Tony Award nomination for her role in The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess, and this weekend, the Times ran a story, "A Return Home to Family and Stage" that discussed her life with her fiancé, her dogs, her return to Broadway, and her use of Twitter as a platform to share her views on marriage equality: "...she joined Twitter to vent anger after the New York State Senate voted to reject a same-sex marriage bill in 2009. Twitter became an ideal tool for her outspoken style, as she posted messages supporting gay rights to her followers, who now number nearly 40,000."
McDonald has also taped a video for Freedom to Marry that explains her relief that Obama shared his support for marrige equality, saying, it "is like a superhero just flew into their corner."
Watch the full video below.
- Tom Ford and Richard Buckley Forever
- My 10 Most Shocking Memories of Michael Alig
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Highlights 'Confusion' in U.S. on LGBT Issues
- My Prison Pen Pal: Why I befriended a convicted sex offender
- EXCLUSIVE: Matt Bomer Explains How The Normal Heart Changed His Life
- Jodie Foster Marries Girlfriend Alexandra Hedison