Theresa Rebeck to Part Ways with 'Smash'
By Joshua Gardner
Their sources say the show, which has recently been renewed for a second season, will have to go on with someone new in the lead creative role. They also report that Rebeck will keep the title of executive producer and also contribute to future scripts as a writer.
Rebeck, a Pulitzer prize nominee, is a successful playwright in addition to her television writing and producer credits. One of the writers portrayed on Smash—Julia, played by Debra Messing—was partially based on Rebeck herself.
Though Rebeck’s future with the one-hour drama is unclear, she returns to her playwriting life with a new Broadway comedy, The Seminar starring Alan Rickman, at the Golden Theater.
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet