James Franco as Robert Mapplethorpe
By Alex Taylor Williams
It seems James Franco has a natural talent for playing gay characters—so much so that we often question his own sexuality or, moreover, question why many of his roles don't go to actors who are actually openly gay.
OK, we're not complaining about this, because who doesn't love seeing him play on our team every now and then? On that note, Franco recently posed in the pages of German magazine GQ Style as the controversial gay photographer, Robert Mapplethorpe.
The entire collection of photos, shot by Mariano Vivanco and available on Gay.net, are paired with the news that Franco will play the late visionary, who died of AIDS early in his career, in an upcoming film co-produced by actress Eliza Dushku.
Photo: GQ Style
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Rockin' OUT in L.A.
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series