Cynthia Nixon Clarifies Quote on Bisexuality
By Alex Taylor Williams
The topic of bisexuality in the gay community is often one of heated debate. Some see the decision to date both sexes as merely a stop on the road to complete homosexuality or simply a fad for female pop stars to gain more gay fans. However, few celebrities have been as open about their bisexuality as Sex and the City’s Cynthia Nixon.
In an exclusive statement to The Advocate Nixon states, “While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship.”
The recent star of Wit on Broadway received a widely negative reaction from the LGBT community after stating in an interview that her sexuality was a choice to The New York Times Magazine earlier this month.
Nixon who was in a relationship with a man for 15 years and had two children went on to clarify her statement in the article by writing, "My recent comments in The New York Times were about me and my personal story of being gay. I believe we all have different ways we came to the gay community and we can't and shouldn't be pigeon-holed into one cultural narrative which can be uninclusive and disempowering.”
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination