Thomas Jane Was Not an Actual Male Prostitute
By Out.com Editors
This isn't the kind of flip-flop we were expecting from Thomas Jane. Back in October, the Los Angeles Times ran an interview with the Hung actor, unearthing his young prostitute past:
Hey, you grow up as an artist in a big city, as James Dean said, you're going to have one arm tied behind your back if you don't accept people's sexual flavors. You know, when I was a kid out here in L.A., I was homeless, I didn't have any money and I was living in my car. I was 18. I wasn't averse to going down to Santa Monica Boulevard and letting a guy buy me a sandwich. Know what I mean?
Yes, we do know what you mean! Publishing is not a lucrative profession, so we totally relate. Haven't we all, at least once, strolled down Santa Monica Boulevard (or 8th Avenue) looking for someone to buy us a sandwich, or a Mediterranean wrap of some sort? No big deal.
But wait! Today, The Fix posted another interview with our favorite 'Homeless Dad' (sorry, couldn't resist!), who refutes the quote. Bless this interviewer for asking the tough question after Jane brings up his charity work with child prostitutes:
Do you help runaway prostitute kids because you relate to their experiences? I read the LA Times story where you talked about “exploring your sexual identity” and how you weren’t “averse to going down to Santa Monica Boulevard and letting a guy buy me a sandwich” when you were broke and living in your car. Were you a gay prostitute, the way all those stories said you were?
No, I never said that. But I do work with the prostitute kids now.
So you were misquoted?
Yeah, definitely. In the interviews that I did, I never said I was a prostitute. I was talking about my [early] time in Hollywood: I said that I’d had a sexually adventurous time and I was trying to relate that to how I play a prostitute on TV—trying to relate my experience to my character’s experience—and well, people heard what they wanted to hear. Things fly around.
- Thomas Jane enjoys sandwiches.
- Buying a sandwich is not a euphemism for being paid for sex.
- Thomas Jane was sexually adventurous in his youth.
- Thomas Jane plays a male prostitute on HBO's Hung.
- If there is anyone who would like to buy us a sandwich (literally), we get hungry and can be found wandering the streets of Chelsea around 1 p.m. every weekday.
Photo: Getty Images
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Jared Leto
- Exclusive: Behind the Scenes Footage of 2(X)IST’s Spring/Summer 2014 Collection
- Gay Fashion - Hot Male Models, Gay Style & Trends
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film