Lesbian Family Counters Janice Daniels With 'Love'
By Mike Berlin
If you've paid attention to Troy, Mich., mayor Janice Daniels's Facebook page lately, you'd know that, aside from "liking" Gerard Butler and Patrick Wilson (which, OK, we can get behind), she's discarding her "I Love New York" bag. Why? Because, as she tactlessly writes, "queers can get married there":
Though Daniels posted her comment this past summer, it was recently picked up nationally and the mayor has been under pressure to resign. She has since issued an apology (whether or not the town's residents will accept is undecided), but we'd like to draw attention to a married couple—Amy and Tina Weber—who came down to a city council meeting with their two daughters to voice their disapproval with the mayor's words. In the video below, the family offers an extremely compelling argument in the form of two drawings, one by each of their daughters.
"We thought you would like to see how one family chose LOVE over anger, judgment, and hate," Tina and Amy wrote to us. Hopefully, Daniels will make that same choice if she's given the opporunity to do so in the future.
Photo: Courtesy Amy & Tina Weber
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models