Student Schools Bachmann on Gay Rights
By Mike Berlin
Not a day goes by without news of Michele Bachmann—in her near-dead presidential campaign—testing the limits of illogical rhetoric on gay rights. But when she's exposed and challenged by someone more than half her age, like she was at last night's Town Hall Meeting at the oddly named Waverly Pizza Ranch in Iowa, it's particularly enjoyable, if predictably infuriating.
Asked by 16-year-old Jane Schmidt, a member of her high school's GSA, how she plans to support the LGBT community, Bachmann responded, "All of us, as Americans, have the same rights."
When pressed further by Schmidt as to why same-sex couples aren't allowed to marry, Bachmann responded in the most ludicrous way possible, arguing that gay people have the same right to get married as straight people, so long as it's to a member of the opposite sex.
Watch, in the video below, as Bachmann's responses become even more nonsensical while Schmidt keeps pushing her on the issue.
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 20 Power Couples You Should Know
- 10 Queer Social Media Stars Ruling the Internet
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- Calpernia Adams: Tranny Is a Dumb Word But Don't Ban It