Regis Philbin Serenaded By Cast of 'Rent' On His Final Show
By Adam Rathe
Regis Philbin made his last appearance on his long-running show Live this morning, and the 80-year-old performer went out in style.
There were stars in the audience, Philbin was gifted a key to New York City and, because he’s that special kind of cultured old dude, the cast of Rent, which is currently doing an Off-Broadway run, showed up to serenade him.
A group of actors from the Tony Award-winning musical appeared and crooned a tweaked version of “Seasons of Love” that addressed how long Philbin has been on the air (50 long years). Sample lyric: “995,600 minutes/ How do you measure, measure a career.”
Having been accused (though never convicted) of calling campus security on musical theater majors who would gather in a courtyard and belt this song during our college years, the opening chords have a tendency to make us look frantically for the nearest exit. This version, however, is kind of sweet and actually pretty charming despite all of the weird feelings it dredges up, not unlike Regis himself.
- WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Sing Carols With Strangers on the Street
- Guy-on-Guy Action
- Gay Icons: Kremlin to Receive Elton John, George Michael, Tom Daley Nesting Dolls
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Christmas Comes Early: Beyoncé Drops 'Visual Album' While You Were Sleeping
- Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellan