Westboro Baptist Church Protests New York Fashion Week
Our arch-nemesis the Westboro Baptist Church is protesting Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, and not in the way we're used to -- you know, by wearing bad clothes. The notoriously anti-gay "church" (it's really just a big, inbred family) is taking their hatred of beauty and style to a whole new level by actually picketing the event, the New York Post reports.
Apparently, the WBC is claiming that those in the fashion industry are nothing but a bunch of whores. Says a spokesman: "The whole thing is vanity! You’re going to teach the women, especially the young women of this country, to doll themselves up ... All you are doing is teaching girls to be proud whores! ... the whole idea [of the] fashion industry is to make women look as whorish as possible and men look as effeminate at possible."
Um, duh. That's the whole point. To quote Karen Walker from the Will & Grace episode when Neil Patrick-Harris guest-starred: " They're trying to make gay people straight! Good Lord! Don't they know what that'll do to the fall line?"
If destruction, as the WBC's picket signs claim, is "imminent," then God help us we're going down the only way that's dignified -- dressed fabulously.
Photo: Getty Images
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula