Top Chef Just Desserts: Sticky and Sweet
By Phillip Crook
"There's a lot of pink and quite a bit of disco dust." What's that? Gail Simmons, are you being ironic? The Top Chef Just Desserts host meant to describe the confections on Bravo's new pastry-centric show, but low and behold she also summed up why it's the gayest thing on the network.
Bravo front-man Andy Cohen even said as much in his blog: "The show is great and one of the gayest we've ever done (THAT is saying something), and pastry chefs are d-r-a-m-a. Who knew!?" We could have told him that. Lock a bunch of sugar-high perfectionists in a room with a hot oven and you'll get drama.
Three of the 12 original cheftestants whisking up the reality TV theatrics are gay: Zac Young, Yigit Pura and Tim Nugent -- or as we're calling them, ZYT. If they were a cover band, yes, that would be their name and, yes, their first hit would be Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me." Although, ZYT might need to pull a Destiny's Child and look for a replacement member, since the judges eliminated Tim this week. One gay down, two to go. So far, Zac's the stand-out leader with his ornate creations, but our money's on Yigit to take the cake. Something about that Eastern European cuteness makes us crave Turkish delight.
-- PHILLIP B. CROOK
Previously > Baz Luhrmann to Bring Strictly Ballroom to Broadway
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Bianchi, Winterson Books Named Lambda Literary Award Finalists
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Meet RuPaul's Drag Race's New, Bulgier Pit Crew
- The Best Hair Styling Products For Men
- Vows: Dustin Reeser & Spencer Stout Started at Home Depot, Ended Up at Grammys