Gay Marriage? Not "Today"
By Nick Stergiopoulos
NBC’s Today Show has
been criticized by GLAAD for limiting its “Stuck-in-the-Past Modern Day Wedding Contest” to
straight couples only. While gay couples were welcomed before, the new rule
was put in effect because same-sex marriage is illegal in the state of New
York, where the wedding would take place.
Protesters have argued that since New York recognizes out-of-state gay marriages, contest winners could simply get their licenses elsewhere. The contest, after all, awards a free wedding celebration, not a marriage certificate. However, the show is only accepting applications until Friday, and as of yet doesn't appear to be budging.
Given this development, we're wondering how Lady Gaga, who's scheduled to perform on the Today Show this Friday morning, will respond.
-- NICK STERGIOPOULOS
Previously > When Gay Equals Funny
- Neil Patrick Harris: His Metamorphosis From Doogie to Barney to Hedwig
- Bear Rapper Big Dipper: I Won’t Sleep With My Fans
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'
- Neil Patrick Harris: Glitter & Glam
- 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris
- 2014 CFDA Awards: And The Nominees Are...