Barbra Streisand Was Here
By Noah Michelson
Who knew that the “Customers Who Bought This Also Bought…” feature at Amazon.com was a show-tune loving homosexual? While randomly perusing the titles on some other ridiculously gay subject, I came across Barbra Streisand in New York City – a veritable bible of every street, building, park bench and trash can within the five boroughs that has significance in the life of the icon.
Though it might not be much to look at, the book is packed with fun facts and traces the geographical and chronological trajectory of Barbra’s rise form dollar-and-a-dream Jewish girl (Brooklyn) to penthouse-purchasing diva (Upper East Side). My tip: if you’re a planning to be a tourist in New York, try and save your self some shame: leave the dime-a-dozen guide book at home and walk the streets of New York in the steps of its favorite daughter. Just don’t get freaked out by the shrine I’ve set up at 40 West 8th Street.
Barbra Streisand in New York City (Outskirts Press) by Bernie Ardia is available at Amazon.com.
-- DAVID SARNA GALDI
Previously > Spanish Clinic Peddles Pills to Cure Gays
READER COMMENTS (
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Lady Gaga Flashes Her Privates on the Cover of Candy Magazine (NSFW)
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad
- A Shirtless Michael J. Willett Performs Stripped Down Cover of Natasha Bedingfield
- Open Letter: Greg Louganis Congratulates Tom Daley For Coming Out