Portugal Legalizes Gay Marriage
By Noah Michelson
Yesterday, Portugal became the sixth European country to legalize gay marriage. Even though the country is nearly 90 percent Catholic (though only a small portion of that 90 percent actually classifies itself as practicing) and President Anibal Cavaco Silva himself said that he had to put aside "personal convictions" to sign the law into effect, the Socialist government's bill was supported by all of Portugal's
left-of-center parties, who together hold a majority in Parliament.
Previously > The Takeaway Examines Gayness in the Workplace
- WATCH: The First Trailer For HBO's Adaptation Of 'The Normal Heart'
- Casting Net: MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters
- Need To Know: Looking’s Lauren Weedman And How She Frightened Scott Bakula
- Model Watch: Adonis Bosso & Juan Betancourt in 'Horizon'
- Straight Actor Raúl Castillo Plays Richie on Looking: He Talks About the New HBO Series
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower