Need To Know: Chris Pureka
By Noah Michelson
Singer-songwriter Chris Pureka is back with a haunting new album, How I Learned To See In The Dark, in stores on April 13. The former micro-biologist's soul-baring songs and haunting guitar playing have earned her comparisons to Bruce Springsteen, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, and Gillian Welch, but she is truly her own artist -- and the kind that the first time you hear one of her songs, you kick yourself for not having discovered her sooner.
We caught up with Chris to chat about the new album, her early influences, and her venturing into political songwriting:
After the interview, Chris treated us to three acoustic tracks, two from the new album, "Wrecking Ball" and "Shipwreck," and a classic, "Burning Bridges," from her 2004 album Driving North:
For more info on Chris Pureka and a full list of tour dates, visit her official website here.
-- NOAH MICHELSON
- Spectrum: 14 Queer Models
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower
- Out's Best-Dressed Man of the Week: Jared Leto
- Rebel With Applause: Nicola Formichetti Is Tackling His Biggest Fashion Challenge Yet
- Gay Fashion - Hot Male Models, Gay Style & Trends