Need To Know: Chris Pureka
By Noah Michelson
Singer-songwriter Chris Pureka is back with a haunting new album, How I Learned To See In The Dark, in stores on April 13. The former micro-biologist's soul-baring songs and haunting guitar playing have earned her comparisons to Bruce Springsteen, Ryan Adams, Patty Griffin, and Gillian Welch, but she is truly her own artist -- and the kind that the first time you hear one of her songs, you kick yourself for not having discovered her sooner.
We caught up with Chris to chat about the new album, her early influences, and her venturing into political songwriting:
After the interview, Chris treated us to three acoustic tracks, two from the new album, "Wrecking Ball" and "Shipwreck," and a classic, "Burning Bridges," from her 2004 album Driving North:
For more info on Chris Pureka and a full list of tour dates, visit her official website here.
-- NOAH MICHELSON
- Tegan And Sara Call Miley Cyrus 'This Generation's Madonna'
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Lady Gaga Flashes Her Privates on the Cover of Candy Magazine (NSFW)
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad
- Outgrowing Texas: A Gay Adolescence Under the Lone Star