Two Condoms and You're Out
By Noah Michelson
Word on the street is that police in NYC, San Francisco, and Washington D.C. are cracking down on sex workers by declaring certain areas "prostitute free zones," arresting suspected offenders, and then using the fact that a woman is carrying two or more condoms as proof that they're turning tricks.
Since when is carrying a few -- or a hundred -- condoms against the law? And what do these raids do but encourage sex workers to hit the streets without protection in hopes of having one less strike against them should they be arrested -- in a cities where, as Womensrights.change.org points out, there are rampant HIV/AIDS problem?
We all might have different views of prostitution, but like it or not, the world's oldest profession isn't going anywhere, so at the very least let's keep people safe out there. Want to help make sure it happens? Send a letter to the mayors of cities where these raids are happening.
-- NOAH MICHELSON
Previously > Tim Fish Makes His X-Men Debut
- Dustin Lance Black Hits Back at Alma Mater For Shaming Him
- The Straight Gay World of MSNBC anchor & politics wonk Steve Kornacki
- 10 Transgender People Shattering Entertainment's Glass Ceiling
- The 30 Sexiest Gay Scenes In Film
- The 8th Annual Power 50
- EXCLUSIVE: Beyoncé Debuts Free Remixes of 'Blow' & 'XO'