The 2009 Out 100: Pedro Almodóvar
By Noah Michelson
Photo: Jason Bell
Today's featured honoree from the 2009 school day–themed Out 100 -- our salute to the 100 gay, lesbian, and trans people who have made an impact in their own communities and on mainstream culture in the last 12 months -- is Pedro Almodóvar, voted "Biggest Flirt."
Almodóvar’s sensual, glittering body of work has made him one of the world’s most successful and well-known filmmakers. He has been a novelist, pornographer, cartoonist, and crooner; his films draw on all of these experiences. Over the course of his long career -- including 17 films -- he has cultivated and defined a uniquely gay sensibility: life as outrage, beauty, and passion. Again and again, from the lives of transsexuals to the vagaries of childhood friendships, absurdity crescendoes into comedy. His latest film, Broken Embraces, shot in the style of hard-boiled American noir, further evolves his irresistible oeuvre.
We'll continue to bring you more featured honorees in the coming days until we unveil the entire 2009 Out 100 portfolio, shot by renowned photographer Jason Bell, in stores and online in mid-November.
To see an exclusive slideshow of images featuring Tamar Novas, Spain's newest heartthrob and star of Almodóvar's latest film, Broken Embraces, head to Out.com.
- EastSiders Web Series Lands A Satellite Award Nomination
- Quote of the Day: Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Gay Men's Chorus Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team
- Lady Gaga Flashes Her Privates on the Cover of Candy Magazine (NSFW)