Happy Birthday, Bloody Mary!
By Jessanne Collins
In honor of the Bloody Mary's 75th birthday, Mayor Bloomberg of New York City has just declared October 5 Bloody Mary Day. We already celebrate this holiday weekly, on Sundays, but hey, what's a Monday thrown into the (worcestershire and horseradish) mix for good measure? According to The New York Times, arbiter of accurate information at important political moments like this one, the Bloody Mary's "alleged creator -- Fernand Petiot, known as Pete -- mixed the spicy, tomato-based cocktail in New York City in the fall of 1934." We suggest you take the rest of the day off to properly commemorate this important occasion in hangover history.
Actress Arlene Dahl models the drink of the day preemptively, at a 2006 Oscar party. Photo: Getty Images.
Previously > What's Poppin' with Wilson Phillips?
- Gay Icons: Kremlin to Receive Elton John, George Michael, Tom Daley Nesting Dolls
- Christmas Comes Early: Beyoncé Drops 'Visual Album' While You Were Sleeping
- Guy-on-Guy Action
- Meet the Queens of 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 6
- Six By Sondheim: James Lapine Directs HBO Doc
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?