What's Poppin' with Glam Spiders from Space?
By Jessanne Collins
A rare and extremely flamboyant (read: giant, yellow) species of spider has been discovered in Malaysia and christened Heteropoda davidbowie. Obviously.
The name, chosen by German spider expert Peter Jäger, is reportedly a reference to Bowie's seminal Rise and Fall of
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Not to mention, the arachnid in question -- click here to see for yourself -- looks like something straight out of The Labyrinth.
But more than merely an homage, this is a plan to get shallow people who only care about celebrities (like us!) to pay more attention to endangered spiders. And it worked! Because we would totally run screaming from -- but not squish -- this guy if he ever showed up in our bathtub.
Previously > What's Poppin' with Cross-Dressing Kittens?
- GIF Wall: Model Marc Buckner Charms The Camera
- Tom Daley Confirms It Was 'Love at First Sight' With Dustin Lance Black
- Sam Champion Receives Emotional Good Morning America Send-Off
- James Franco Teases "50 Shades of Batman and Robin"
- The pill Truvada can prevent HIV: So why are so few gay men taking it?
- Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team